I finally posted my latest video a couple of weeks ago. You can check it out here:
This one was a lot of fun to make, and I learned a lot along the way. Unfortunately, there’s really not one single place to learn all of this, so I ended up watching tons of YouTube tutorials. At some point, I’d love to compile my own little set of tutorials to show others how to do this, but for now, here’s the overview:
1) Research the topic (interviews and lots of web searches mostly)
2) Storyboard: what order makes sense? What should I cover? This is a very rough draft and consists of words and some simple sketches
3) Write the script: Each paragraph is one, or maybe two “scenes”. My scripts have been about 1.5-2 pages long on MS Word (12 pt font)
4) Record script audio (I use a Blue Yeti mic)
5) Sketch out scenes in more detail, like this:
6) Adobe Illustrator: Draw things out using Illustrator + Wacom tablet (or mouse/trackpad). Save each section of the image as a separate layer. If I want to do the “drawing in” effect later, reverse the order of elements in each layer.
7) Adobe After Effects: Import illustrator file, along with audio. Use trim paths effect to make it look like it’s being drawn in. Synch audio and animation using keyframes.
8) Adobe Premiere Pro: Import scenes created in steps 6 & 7, put them in the right order, and add a soundtrack on top of it all.
That’s the gist of it anyway. Hope to give more details on specific sections at some point. For now, feel free to ask questions in the comments below.